Monday 28 March 2011

28th March 2011

First of all a interesting story from one of the obs members -" I got a call from my daughter in Bidston at 20:30 last evening, she said her cat had brought a bird into the house and asked for advice. I decided to go round and when I got there I found a Water Rail in her spare bedroom! After taking advice I decided to roost it overnight. It was fine this morning so I released it into the West Kirby salt marsh on my way to Hilbre". (JE) See photo, above. No Water Rails on Hilbre but migrants were still passing through. Meadow Pipits continued to pass until at least midday by which time when 250 had been logged. Five species of visiting finches were in mostly small numbers, with 2 Chiffchaffs the only warblers. 'Scarce' Hilbre species present included 2 Collared Doves, 2 Canada Geese (at one time mixing with the Brents, above right) ) and a Tree Sparrow. Little Gulls made an appearance on the sea and 10 were noted today. The Brent were counted at 110 but there may be more, and at least 6 Purple Sandpipers are still around. The seal (left) that has preferred the rocks on the north end to the usual haul out on the west hoyle for the last few days is still present. Ringed :- 2 Greenfinches (left), 1 Chiffchaff (right), 1 Meadow Pipit. The Meadow Pipit showed an extensive prebreeding moult (right). (ME +HW, JE) [ 85] photos JE

No comments: